Sunday, January 23, 2011

I don't know where to begin spiel

Well, it is 2 am and I don't know whether to indent or not. I hate this blogging business but only because I'm so bad at it. As a kid I could never manage to be consistent with my diary. I would see them at the store and convince myself to buy one - this time I'm gonna write in it everyday. I read some blogs here and there and I don't know if they took a blog tutorial (does blogspot have one?) but it seems they think ahead! For example, as I'm typing I see this small,white box that says "Labels:" I know what it's used for but I don't know what words to write. I think after like ten posts I will have that figured out and by then I'm not so sure I want to go back to my previous blogs and write these labels in.

(I think I should indent) I suppose I should start from the beginning (I can't believe I just wrote that). You probably want to know why I made this blog and if I'm some savvy stalker. 

I always liked different cultures, languages and religions. Not really sure how that all started, maybe it was the Discovery Channel or The Learning Channel (TLC) all I know is this has been an interest since I was a kid. People are just so fascinating! And its amazing how culture, language and religions mold reality (how an individual views their reality). I guess I noticed all these differences when I started having more friends who were Indian and Pakistani. Yeah, there is so much of our own American culture we share but oh man - to me their world was like... well another world. I loved it! I wanted to know everything about this new place. Soon enough I found myself wanting to be in their world and maybe slightly (although some would say desperately) wanting to be a part of their world; to be one of them. That whole thing right there is a whole other blog and some therapy (lol). 

So then I found myself in Lebanon this past summer. Were you thinking India? Yeah me too! Well, by the time I made this decision, I had quite a bit of arab friends. The majority was Lebanese and I just felt more comfortable having them tell me about their country, where to go, that they were coming too and that if I needed anything they have plenty of family there.Also, my best friend Brooklyn has a cousin that is married to a Lebanese guy and he (the husband) really was SO much help to me in getting me there and making me feel safe (and my family). So in a nutshell, all signs pointed to Lebanon.

The first place I lived in was Hazmieh. Here I lived with European girls! We were two Italian girls, one French girl and me the American. I shared a room with one Italian girl named Isabella. Soon enough we were having dinner parties, going out to pubs and I was meeting all their friends. This is how I met "Asad". Pause. sigh. lol. We were at a pub called Treesome in Gemmayze. I was wearing a black dress, charcoal leggings (yeah, probably a disaster, but I don't like showing my legs), and my hair was straight. The room was dim but lively and we sat at a table against the wall. I didn't want to dance so I sat down the whole time and watched my friends dancing with their other friends and strangers making out. He was sitting infront of me and his friends were next to him. I really don't know what to tell you. We all talked and joked for a bit and when he left I didn't really care. I noticed but not enough to wonder where he went. I think the rest of the night was spent talking to people (guys) and cracking up! When we were leaving the pub, he was with us again and he asked me for my number. I didn't think much of it, I figured they're all friends and they all have each others' numbers so why not. He said "we could have coffee sometime or hang out" and I responded "I'm really busy, I don't know, but you can try". I know it may sound flirtacious to you, but I tell jokes to lighten the situation and to protect myself (from a guy asking me for my number!! THE HORROR).
So this is how it happened. One day I was sitting in the living with one of my flatmates, Gisela, and her friend Adam. I said "I decided I want a boyfriend". If you knew me from before this moment, you would be shocked by that statement. After the breakup with my first boyfriend in 2005 I haven't been able to find anyone else (or I just haven't allowed anyone in). Was I ready now or was this due the change of environment? I spoke of qualities I liked and they thought of guys they knew. It was like a gameshow, I was being silly about it, but I was serious about what I wanted. The first person that was suggested was Adam's cousin. We came up with the idea of having a little party and inviting him. That way we would meet and talk but not really have a blind date. Then, Adam snaps his fingers and says Asad, he's a good guy and Gisela, with a smile from ear to ear, opens her eyes widely, waves her arms wildly and says with her lovely Italian accent Yes, yes, you know him, you met at Treesome! 


Treesome - Ever been here?



I had his number and without telling anyone I texted him!

No comments:

Post a Comment